[chromium-discuss] Chrome can't open tabbed window with window.open
Korhan Dincer
2018-09-19 13:54:06 UTC

When opening new window with JavaScript (window.open), Chrome doesn't open
new window as tabbed window.
For this reason, if we open another window from tabless window, it is
opened in main window's tabs and users have to switch to background window.
This implies usability of Chrome for our multiple windowed application.
Other browsers open tabbed window properly when opening with following
JavaScript but not Chrome:

window.open("www.google.com","_blank","height=725,width=1521,screenx=0,screeny=0,left=0,top=0,scrollbars=1,menubar=1,location=1,toolbar=1,directories=1,personalbar=1,resizable=1,")

Currently, Chrome's tabless popup window can be changed into tabbed window
from its menu with "Show as tab" command.
What we need is, to enable this command from window.open with some
arguments(ie. tabbedwindow=1) or
Chrome should recognize and behave so with existing arguments
(scrollbars=1,menubar=1,location=1,toolbar=1,directories=1,personalbar=1).

This bug report is also same and dates back to 2011:
https://bugs.chromium.org/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=82522

Thank you.