[chromium-discuss] Will changing an existing permission in my Chrome extension disable it?
Matthew S.
2018-10-24 14:13:20 UTC

I am considering changing an existing permission in my extension's manifest
from "*://*.website.com/*" to "https://www.website.com/*" and I am
wondering if this change will disable the extension for my users?

I have read the "Update permissions" section
of https://developer.chrome.com/extensions/permission_warnings#update_permissions
but it does not specify which changes will disable the extension.

I've also tried changing the manifest and packing the extension but it
seems to install the extension as a fresh copy rather than updating the
existing installation.

Does anyone know of a way to test this or have any experience in this
situation?

Thanks!