[chromium-discuss] DevTools was disconnected from the page - React development , Console JS
julien keruzec
2018-10-23 09:15:51 UTC
Dear All,

I have some issue with Chrome. I'm currently developping an app with React
JS.
When I have a breakpoint in my code and when I want to debug something in
console. I just start typing and get Chrome crash with message :
"DevTools was disconnected from the page.
Once page is reloaded, DevTools will automatically reconnect."

This bug is not here everytime I start typing on console.

can someone help with that?

Thanks,
Julien.
PhistucK

julien keruzec
2018-10-24 13:38:35 UTC
I did some test with new profile using "--user-data-dir" option and another
directory.

I had the same bug .... with fresh Chrome settings.
I'm using "--disable-web-security" also.
And I plugged my JS workspace with my file system.
PhistucK
2018-10-24 13:43:44 UTC
Post by julien keruzec
This bug is not here everytime I start typing on console.
Do you mean it is inconsistent?

Does it happen in other websites as well?

☆*PhistucK*
julien keruzec
2018-10-24 14:04:17 UTC
Yes it's kind of inconsistent. I can't find a valid pattern/scenario to
reproduce it everytime.

I'm using mostly the console/Dev Tools for my own app that I daily develop
so I can't tell if I can reproduce it on other website/webapp.
I use Chrome since 5 years or so, and never had this kind of problem before.
PhistucK
2018-10-24 17:00:10 UTC
Maybe something in your page is triggered by the automatic completion (it
eagerly evaluates and inspects JavaScript objects for that) that causes the
crash.
You can try and disable eager evaluation (in the settings of the console),
but that may avoid the problem at the cost of a useful feature, so -
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot
find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment.
It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails
to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get
triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

☆*PhistucK*
julien keruzec
2018-10-25 06:28:38 UTC
Ok I didn't find any existing issue, so I created one :
https://crbug.com/898759

Thanks for your help :)
2018-11-05 18:50:14 UTC
This started happening to me about 1-2 months ago. When I upgraded from
Chrome 68 to 69. It happens when I have the SOURCES tab open and I am
stepping through my local React/Redux code. I upgrade from 69 to 70 with
no success. I tried Canary. I tried removing & uninstalling Chrome.
Upgrading OS to Mojave too.
The error:
*"DevTools was disconnected from the page.*
*Once page is reloaded, DevTools will automatically reconnect."*
Is completely random it seems.

I have sent multiple "Report an Issue" reports through chrome but no
response. Any ideas? Using Firefox as an alternate is just not as good
but it's better than crashing.

THANKS!