[chromium-discuss] WhatsApp web not working on Chromium
One Above All
2018-12-04 10:34:07 UTC
I am using Chromium Version 70.0.3538.77 on Xubuntu 17.04. When I open
web.whatsapp.com it shows thats WhatsApp Web works only on Google Chrom 36+
and suggest other browsers to use.

I am facing this issue recently. I used to browse the site earlier on same
machine with Chromium and it used to work.

I am eager to know why website thinks I am on Google Chrom v36-
PhistucK
2018-12-04 14:18:59 UTC
My guess is that they are using feature detection (in addition to browser
detection?) and they require some features that are unavailable in Chromium
out of the box (for example, Flash, H.264, push notifications perhaps,
speech recognition and synthesis...), but the message was not updated to
match the detection.

Another possibility is that this distribution of Chromium has a bug.

☆*PhistucK*
Post by One Above All
I am using Chromium Version 70.0.3538.77 on Xubuntu 17.04. When I open
web.whatsapp.com it shows thats WhatsApp Web works only on Google Chrom
36+ and suggest other browsers to use.
I am facing this issue recently. I used to browse the site earlier on same
machine with Chromium and it used to work.
I am eager to know why website thinks I am on Google Chrom v36-
---
One Above All
2018-12-07 13:05:13 UTC
As PhistucK wrote, maybe there's a bug with this version. Whatsapp web
works out of the box (at least for me).

According to launchpad
<https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/chromium-browser>, the latest version
is 71.0.3578.80. Give it a go, and do post the result.
Piokaz Piokaz
PhistucK
2018-12-11 07:33:14 UTC
Like I wrote, it is either a WhatsApp bug, or a Chromium distribution bug.
Since the Chromium project does not distribute Chromium binaries, you
should consult with the distributor.

☆*PhistucK*
Olivier Tilloy
2018-12-11 07:54:34 UTC
My guess is that they are using feature detection (in addition to browser detection?) and they require some features that are unavailable in Chromium out of the box (for example, Flash, H.264, push notifications perhaps, speech recognition and synthesis...), but the message was not updated to match the detection.
From a quick test, it looks like UA string detection only. Spoofing
the user agent with an extension such as User-Agent Switcher for
Chrome allows me to proceed to authentication. I didn't try any
further though.