[chromium-discuss] IDE suggestions
Emett Speer
2018-10-24 17:48:42 UTC
Hello,

I'm just getting started with Chromium and wanted to see if anyone had
suggestions on IDE's. I currently use CLion but it doesn't support ninja as
of yet so it has some drawbacks when trying to use it with Chromium and V8.
If anyone has any suggestions I would love to hear them.

I'm currently using Ubuntu.

Thank you,
Jakob Kummerow
2018-10-25 06:49:45 UTC
Ask five people about their favorite editor/IDE and you'll hear five
different opinions ;-)

Chromium as a whole is so massive that it's very difficult for an IDE to
load all of it into memory (for indexing purposes and whatnot). The obvious
workaround is to load only the subdirectories that you're working on, or
skip fancy features entirely and work on a per-file basis, relying on
cs.chromium.org for browsing. "offline" completion databases like ctags
probably scale better than in-memory indexers.

V8 alone is considerably smaller and should work reasonably well in most
IDEs. A challenge there is the large number of supported hardware
platforms, so an IDE or indexer that relies on reading build configuration
files or artifacts produced by the build system will only see a partial
view of things -- which may or may not be an issue for you, depending on
what you work on.

All that said, common choices include, in no particular order: VSCode,
Sublime, Eclipse, Emacs, Vim, QtCreator.

Look on www.chromium.org/developers (section "Editors Guides"), the
archives of this list, and the archives of chromium-***@chromium.org for
setup/configuration instructions and reports on what works well.
Ultimately, it's a matter of personal preference.
Emett Speer
2018-10-30 17:28:15 UTC
Thank you for getting back to me.

I was playing around with the idea of using VSCode but there is no system I
know of to do debugging in it for V8 and such projects so I was wanting to
switch to an IDE with the hope of gaining an easy way to add that.

I'll have to take a look at the list again and see if I can find something
that will work better for me then VSCode.
Post by Jakob Kummerow
[...]
<javascript:> for setup/configuration instructions and reports on what