[chromium-discuss] TWA (Trusted Web Activity ) availabilty in Chrome
Andres Felipe Brand
2018-11-23 15:00:09 UTC
Hi. We are working with PWA's, and we'd like to publish our application in
the enterprise store. I understand that google does not give the
possibility of publishing web sites links in the play store. So we tested
the TWA Android Trusted Web Activity
(https://developers.google.com/web/updates/2017/10/using-twa) as a way to
deploy our app. It works well but just in Chrome Dev. Do anyone has some
idea when this functionality will be available in a Chrome release?. Is it
something that chromium team has in the road map?. Thank you.

2018-11-27 09:35:59 UTC
Hello Andres,

We are currently working on TWAs and we're hopeful that they'll launch with
Chrome 72. This has an estimated launch date of the end of January (
https://www.chromium.org/developers/calendar ).

I'm glad to hear they're suitable for your use-case!

Peter
Andres Felipe Brand
2018-11-28 16:38:57 UTC
Hello Peter,

Thanks for the information. Yes, normally that will allow us to deploy
through the Google Play Pro using just using the link of our PWA. Even
though there are some issues for us to work, like the manage of web
notifications. Also manage the Android's activities in order to do not open
a new instance of the PWA every time we click the icon of the APK like in
the example. Thanks again.
Peter Conn
2018-11-28 17:43:20 UTC
Happily enough, we should be able to help with both of those issues!

Unfortunately our GitHub mirror hasn't been updating for a while (we're
working on fixing that) - we do have more up to date client code here
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/external/github.com/GoogleChrome/custom-tabs-client/>
.

This client code contains a LauncherActivity
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/external/github.com/GoogleChrome/custom-tabs-client/+/master/customtabs/src/android/support/customtabs/trusted/LauncherActivity.java>
with new logic for managing Android Tasks better - there should only be one
TWA per client app, and if that client app launches again with a different
URL it should bring forward a TWA loading that new URL.

It also contains TrustedWebActivityService
<https://chromium.googlesource.com/external/github.com/GoogleChrome/custom-tabs-client/+/master/customtabs/src/android/support/customtabs/trusted/TrustedWebActivityService.java>,
which you can include in your client app. Once a user has launched a TWA
from your app, Chrome will forward notifications from your website to the
TrustedWebActivityService in your app. By default it will just display the
notifications (but attributed to your app instead of Chrome), but you can
override things if you need more customization.

Peter
Andres Felipe Brand
2018-12-04 10:54:01 UTC

That's very nice. We're going to test it and we'll be back to you for the
feedback. Thanks.