[chromium-discuss] chromium compiled on win7 + vs2017
Hui Wang
2017-05-10 06:25:56 UTC
Hi
I compiled chromium on win7 + vs2017 recently . but i get bellow
errors.

1 when i install vs2017, the 15063 sdk will be installed by default
event if i didn't select 15063 sdk .
2 After i install 14393 sdk i donn't have the directory 'C:\\Program
Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\10\Redist\ucrt\DLLs' , so when i run gen it will
goes to fail.

I uninstall the 15063 sdk by hand, and install 14393 sdk then i
remove the "_CopyUCRTRuntime" in vs_toolchain.py, then i build chromium
successful.

So, what problems happend on my side?
Bruce
2017-05-15 20:56:28 UTC
Post by Hui Wang
After i install 14393 sdk i donn't have the directory 'C:\\Program
Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\10\Redist\ucrt\DLLs'

That seems quite odd. I don't know why those DLLs would not have been
installed. You could try reinstalling the 15063 SDK to see if that resolves
the problem, or contact Microsoft to find out why that directory was not
installed.

There was no need to uninstall the 15063 SDK - the different SDK versions
can co-exist side-by-side.
Hui Wang
2017-05-17 02:53:52 UTC
I cann't reproduce it now, only can find bellow error

E:\chromium\src>gn gen out/Default
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "E:/chromium/src/build/vs_toolchain.py", line 448, in <module>
sys.exit(main())
File "E:/chromium/src/build/vs_toolchain.py", line 444, in main
return commands[sys.argv[1]](*sys.argv[2:])
File "E:/chromium/src/build/vs_toolchain.py", line 305, in CopyDlls
_CopyRuntime(target_dir, runtime_dir, target_cpu, debug=False)
File "E:/chromium/src/build/vs_toolchain.py", line 237, in _CopyRuntime
suffix)
File "E:/chromium/src/build/vs_toolchain.py", line 222, in
_CopyUCRTRuntime
assert len(ucrt_files) > 0
AssertionError
ERROR at //build/toolchain/win/BUILD.gn:39:3: Script returned non-zero exit
cod
.
exec_script("../../vs_toolchain.py",

[image: 内嵌囟片 1]

[image: 内嵌囟片 2]

I remember when i first build, something will be loaded froom 15063, but i
cann't reproduce it now.... only can find there is no the directory
'C:\\Program
Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\10\Redist\ucrt\DLLs', so when i run gn it will
failed.
Post by Hui Wang
Hi
I compiled chromium on win7 + vs2017 recently . but i get bellow
errors.
1 when i install vs2017, the 15063 sdk will be installed by default
event if i didn't select 15063 sdk .
2 After i install 14393 sdk i donn't have the directory 'C:\\Program
Files (x86)\\Windows Kits\\10\Redist\ucrt\DLLs' , so when i run gen it
will goes to fail.
I uninstall the 15063 sdk by hand, and install 14393 sdk then i
remove the "_CopyUCRTRuntime" in vs_toolchain.py, then i build chromium
successful.
So, what problems happend on my side?
---
Bruce Dawson
2017-05-17 18:51:44 UTC
I don't know why the VS/Win-10-SDK installs are not creating and populating
that directory. That is a question for the VC++ and Windows SDK teams. I've
asked them:

https://twitter.com/BruceDawson0xB/status/864915767120109568

I haven't heard of other people having this problem, but that doesn't mean
that it isn't happening.
Hui Wang
Bruce
2017-05-18 20:46:58 UTC
The reply to the tweet from the VC++ team was "I am told we have not heard
of anything like this." I'm not sure what to suggest. You could try copying
that directory from another machine where the install worked, or file a bug
with Microsoft, or ???

It appears to not be a Chromium problem so I don't think there is anything
we can do about it.
Post by Hui Wang
Ok, thanks.
Hui Wang
2018-11-21 01:28:35 UTC
Chromium used to require the 17134 SDK because it needed declarations found
only in that SDK. Now that 17763 has shipped Chromium can build with either
of those two. The requirement for 17134 which is forced in
chromium\src\build\toolchain\win\setup_toolchain.py with this block of code:

# Chromium requires the 10.0.17134.0 SDK - previous versions don't have
# all of the required declarations.
args.append('10.0.17134.0')

can probably be removed. I'll put together a CL to do this. I'm tracking
this and some other cleanups in crbug.com/907300.

I'll probably wait to land any fixes so that some arm64 changes can land
without interference.
I just have reproduced this issue.
Latest win10.iso installed on VMFusio (default 60Gb HDD) +
vs2017+DebuggingTools
In result, all files resides in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Redist\*10.0.17763.0*\ucrt\DLLs\x86
not in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\Redist\ucrt\DLLs\x86
vcvars64.bat exposes
WindowsLibPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\UnionMetadata\10.0.17763.0;C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\References\10.0.17763.0
WindowsSdkBinPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\
WindowsSdkDir=C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\
*WindowsSDKLibVersion=10.0.17763.0\*
WindowsSdkVerBinPath=C:\Program Files (x86)\Windows Kits\10\bin\10.0.17763.0\
WindowsSDKVersion=10.0.17763.0\
Bruce Dawson
2018-11-21 02:05:21 UTC
I created crrev.com/c/1345652 to allow building Chromium with 17763 as well
as 17134. It will probably land tomorrow.
https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/66938e43-bc2a-41a7-bcba-e9559b9d7861%40chromium.org
<https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.org/d/msgid/chromium-dev/66938e43-bc2a-41a7-bcba-e9559b9d7861%40chromium.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>
.