[chromium-discuss] luci-go unable to parse anaconda python versions
andy hayden
2018-08-19 03:49:02 UTC

I am not sure if this is the correct place to post this, but the luci-go's
README <https://chromium.googlesource.com/infra/luci/luci-go> says "Contributing
uses the same flow as Chromium contributions
<https://www.chromium.org/developers/contributing-code>." ...

When installing v8 via GN using an Anaconda bundled python, luci-go throws
an exception.
See: https://github.com/denoland/deno/issues/542

I believe this is a bug in luci-go since it's trying to parse the python
version (major.minor.patch) from the command:

$ python --version

On my OSX system python this is "Python 2.7.12" but for Anaconda it's
"Python 2.7.15 :: Continuum Analytics, Inc.".
Similarly on Windows for which the bug report came in from.
Hence there's an exception
<https://github.com/luci/luci-go/blob/043220934aed46e9514844a3a1332792ad8b5254/vpython/python/interpreter_test.go#L95> when
parsed by luci-go: "non-canonical Python version string".

I believe the fix is to use platform.python_version
<https://docs.python.org/3/library/platform.html#platform.python_version>
instead of --version e.g.
$ python -c 'import platform; print(platform.python_version())'
2.7.15

Perhaps I am missing something, and please correct me if this is the wrong
thread.
I am happy to attempt a patch if that's an acceptable/desired fix.

Thanks,
Andy
andy hayden
andy hayden
2018-11-29 06:11:39 UTC
Bumping one last time...
Post by andy hayden
Is this the incorrect place to report this?
Hi,
<https://www.google.com/url?q=https%3A%2F%2Fgithub.com%2Fdenoland%2Fdeno%2Fissues%2F542&sa=D&sntz=1&usg=AFQjCNFJlLsxQnog6SdVNcwqKe8YNUS6ew>
Jakob Kummerow
2018-11-30 04:15:14 UTC
+dnj +iannucci from
https://chromium.googlesource.com/infra/luci/luci-go/+/master/vpython/OWNERS
Post by andy hayden
Bumping one last time...
Post by andy hayden
Is this the incorrect place to report this?
Hi,
Andy Hayden
2018-11-30 19:52:31 UTC
Where is the correct place to file this bug?
Could you file a bug for this, please? I think the email got buried in
inboxes.
Post by Jakob Kummerow
+dnj +iannucci from
https://chromium.googlesource.com/infra/luci/luci-go/+/master/vpython/OWNERS
Post by andy hayden
Bumping one last time...
Post by andy hayden
Is this the incorrect place to report this?
Hi,