[chromium-discuss] GPO to force install of extensions is still prompting for install of EXE
J.J. von Mehren
2018-11-20 15:16:44 UTC
I'm trying to deploy a ClickOnce extension to Chrome in our organization.
I'm using the GPO to force the installation. It works, however it doesn't
do so silently. When the user opens chrome after they get the GPO, an EXE
is downloaded and they have to install it. If they do, the extension
works. If they don't and just close out the install prompt, the extension
appears to be installed, but doesn't actually work. Anyone know how to
resolve this? I've tried a couple of different extensions with the same
result.

Thanks!
PhistucK
2018-11-21 07:09:01 UTC
Not sure what a ClickOnce extension is, but it sounds like it does need to
install a native application somehow in order to work.
While Chrome can run files (if your extension uses the downloads and
downloads.open permissions), it cannot add command line parameters to the
run file, so if the EXE is not a silent installer by default, it will not
be silent. Also, I guess Windows might show an "Unsafe file" warning that
the user will have to approve before the EXE is run, even if it is silent
by default, which you probably cannot overcome (or maybe with a group
policy to disable those warnings, but that will not be a good thing to do
;)).
This is something you will have to do with an external script using group
policy or whatever administrative tool you can use for that matter.

☆*PhistucK*
Post by J.J. von Mehren
I'm trying to deploy a ClickOnce extension to Chrome in our organization.
I'm using the GPO to force the installation. It works, however it doesn't
do so silently. When the user opens chrome after they get the GPO, an EXE
is downloaded and they have to install it. If they do, the extension
works. If they don't and just close out the install prompt, the extension
appears to be installed, but doesn't actually work. Anyone know how to
resolve this? I've tried a couple of different extensions with the same
result.
Thanks!
---
Sumeet Agrawal
2018-11-27 03:45:37 UTC
AFAIK, Chrome extensions consist of mostly Content scripts and background
scripts which are all Javascript files which run while Chrome loads
different web pages. This flow doesn't need an external Windows (native)
application and therefore, as @Phistuck said, if the extension needs
another native app, it will need the manual intervention.
Ideally, a Chrome extension should be independent of the native application
if you want to use GPO policies.
Post by J.J. von Mehren
I'm trying to deploy a ClickOnce extension to Chrome in our
organization. I'm using the GPO to force the installation. It works,
however it doesn't do so silently. When the user opens chrome after they
get the GPO, an EXE is downloaded and they have to install it. If they do,
the extension works. If they don't and just close out the install prompt,
the extension appears to be installed, but doesn't actually work. Anyone
know how to resolve this? I've tried a couple of different extensions with
the same result.
Thanks!
---
---
sums(sumeet agrawal)
***@gmail.com
'Julian Pastarmov' via Chromium-discuss
2018-11-27 09:43:51 UTC
It is common that extensions can't achieve what they need with only the
in-browser APIs available and need a native host application to achieve
their goals. The best way to release users from the need to do this step
manually is to figure out the download the extension does and deploy it
through GPO/SCCM to them as part of your central configuration. If it is an
MSI it should be very straightforward to deploy it as part of your
configuration. If it is an exe you might want to package it in your own MSI
or will need to script the installation yourself.

Best,
Julian