[chromium-discuss] Passwords and forms
Andrew Leyton
2018-11-14 12:33:54 UTC
I am finding Chromium's autofill very irritating and have been trying to
turn it off. I don't seem to be able to.

Most instructions tell me that after going to "Settings," then "Advanced"
that I should select "Passwords and Forms." I see no such option.

Instead, the option for 'Passwords" is at the top under "People." It's not
even in the advanced options.

Under "Advanced" I I turned the following off:

"Use a prediction service to help complete searches and URLs typed in the
address bar" and "Use a prediction service to load pages more quickly"

But no change, even after restarting the browser.

When I start typing into the search bar, my history appears. On websites
if I enter a search, previous searches drop down from the menu.

I'm frustrated by the fact that my settings menu doesn't even match with
what websites are telling me I should see.

How can I turn off autofill?
Roger McFarlane
2018-11-14 16:33:48 UTC
Hi Andrew,

Sorry to hear about your frustrations.

It's not quite clear from your email exactly which feature(s) you want to
disable:

- Chrome helping you fill in address, credit card, and password forms
within pages (autofill)?

Under "People" in the "Settings Menu" there are sections to enable and
manage passwords, payment information and addresses. Disabling the latter
will also stop Chrome from offering suggestions of other things you've
previously filled into various forms. The UI for these settings have
changed recently.

- Chrome offering you suggestions when you type into the Chrome
search/address bar, aka the omnibox (autocomplete)?

The setting your mention in your original post disables the use of a
prediction service to complete searches/URL typed into the address bar;
but, to my knowledge, there isn't a setting to entirely disable omnibox
autocomplete. Chrome will still offer to autocomplete based on your local
browser and search history.

I hope this helps,

Roger