[chromium-discuss] SpeechRecognition in Linux
Tarim
2018-10-18 14:54:45 UTC
When I try to use SpeechRecognition in Chromium under Ubuntu (Lubuntu
16.04) it gives me a "network" error (with a blank message). Running under
Windows 10 and all works fine. Versions are:

Linux: Chromium 69.0.3497.81, JavaScript V8 6.9.427.19
Windows: Chromium 69.0.3497.100, JavaScript V8 6.9.427.23

Is this a Chromium vs Google Chrome thing? (Not entirely convinced as
I've heard of people running SpeechRecognition on Raspberry Pies and that
(AFAIK) is only Chromium built from the open sources.)

Do I need an API key and if so, which one/where do I get this? (Don't
think I have one on the Windows machine.)

Do I need to specify some extra command options when I launch Chromium?
(For instance on the speechSynthesis side under Linux; it seems to need
--enable-speech-dispatcher.)

Any ideas about how to run this without installing Google Chrome as
opposed to using the Chromium in the standard repository as I'd also like
to run it on a 32-bit Linux system and I don't think Google Chrome is
available for that.

Cheers,
Tarim
PhistucK
2018-10-21 07:33:32 UTC
Yes, it is a Chromium versus Google Chrome difference and yes, you do need
an API key (for recognition as well as synthesis, push, geolocation and
more). Instructions -
https://www.chromium.org/developers/how-tos/api-keys

Note that this is only meant for development purposes, not for general use
(hence its very low quota).

☆*PhistucK*
Post by Tarim
[...]
---