[chromium-discuss] Bad, sobbing performance on Google Chrome
Lorenzo Gasperoni
2018-10-24 08:01:43 UTC
Google Chrome v 70.0.3538.67
Windows 10 Pro v 1803

I am experiencing a strange issue in the last 2 weeks.
During the navigation of any website, the performances are evidently jerky,
sobbing. Are pulsating.
I am a web developer and initially tought that was some bad client side js
code on the pages i was visiting, but when i realized that the problem
affect any website i understood that was a browser issue.
I tried:
- to disable all extensions
- clear cache and cookies
- reinstall
- reinitialize Chrome with the specific function in the settings panel
- scan pc with Malwerbites (as Google suggests)
- scan with Avira
- disable hardware acceleration
- fresh Google profile
- disable all experimental features from chrome://flags
- obviously i tried to restart :D

The problem is there also in incognito.

****Chrome Beta doesn't show any issue.****
But i'd like to use the stable version.

So, what can i do now?
Thanks a lot.
PhistucK
2018-10-24 08:59:36 UTC
Looks like you tried everything. Does this reproduce in another device with
similar (identical, even better) hardware and drivers? If not, they you
might have some application (not necessarily malware) installed that
interferes with Chrome.
If you try some JavaScript benchmarks, are they also very slow (I am trying
to determine whether the graphics are slow, the CSS is slow, or scripts are
running slowly)?

If you can reproduce in another device using similar (identical, even
better) hardware/drivers -
You can search crbug.com for an existing issue and star it. If you cannot
find one, file a new issue using the "New issue" link on the same page.
Please, do not add a "+1" or "Me too" or "Confirmed" (or similar) comment.
It just wastes the time of Chrome engineers and sends unnecessary e-mails
to all of the people who starred the issue.

You can reply with a link to the found or created issue and might get
triaged (and fixed) faster.

Thank you.

☆*PhistucK*

On Wed, Oct 24, 2018 at 11:37 AM Lorenzo Gasperoni <
Post by Lorenzo Gasperoni
[...]
---
Jon Perryman
2018-10-25 03:37:34 UTC
You should also consider that the problem may not have anything to do with
chrome. Are you having network issues? Has anything other than chrome
changed? Do other browsers have the same issue? Has paging, network traffic
or disk activity increased?

Regards, Jon.
PhistucK
2018-10-25 05:45:56 UTC
One more thing to try -
Go to chrome://accessibility/ and untick any checkbox. Also, maybe start
Chrome with --disable-renderer-accessibility.

☆*PhistucK*
Lorenzo Gasperoni
2018-10-25 07:45:17 UTC
Hi PhistucK!
Run Chrome with the --disable-renderer-accessibility command take effects!
The problem is gone!

Thank you! Ther is a explanation to this issue?
Lorenzo

PhistucK
2018-10-25 07:57:55 UTC
I guess something triggered the accessibility mode. I am not sure how that
happens, but I experienced it, too.
Maybe launching the Windows magnifier does that...

☆*PhistucK*

David Ford
2018-10-27 04:59:06 UTC
I'm on Linux and last night chrome got real chunky too. I had to restart it
-- didn't have a chance to examine processes to see if something was
running amuck. I'll try this --disable next week, I'm pretty booked right
now.
Lorenzo Gasperoni
2018-10-25 07:42:38 UTC
Hi Jon Perryman,
no network issues, nothing in chrome has changed, and other browsers are
not affected. The pc is a good machine and is not an hardware problem i
suppose.
The sobbing behavior looks not related to any suspicious activity.